institute was formed in 1839 as a non-political movement open to all classes
and creeds. Its initial meetings were held in “The eagles” public
house Quay street in Amlwch port. Among the initial founders were, Owen Lewis,
“Philolecturus”, Joseph Jones “Chwaneg Mon”, Evan Evans,
Mona Lodge, John Hughes, Tyddyn Dai, and Jonathon Roose, Parys Farm.
By 1842 the movement became so popular that in a meeting in the school house it was decided that it should look for its own premises. A Mr Lewis and Hughes were appointed as fund raisers. The Marquis of Anglesey contributed £10 towards the fund. The aims of the institution were :-
1) A decent private room for members to assemble.
2) That we should have a Library and a few apparatus.
3) That members should have access to the Library whenever they please.
4) A general meeting should be held once a fortnight .. in order to discuss. topics approved off by the society.
5) Public lectures should be delivered every two or three months, with the benefits of ticket sales going to the Institution.
Buildings were erected on the right hand side of Bull bay road just before the national school in 1845.
There were three grades of membership each with a separate fee. The highest grade, mostly gentry paid an annual fee of £2/2/= while for £5 a membership for life was offered. Mechanics ie skilled works paid 2/- annually.
The institute was open to members from 8am until 10 pm daily. Books on religion, sport, travel, biography, tales and romances by authors such as Dickens together with volumes on art, science, history and poetry were in the library. A course of lectures was started every year in October and terminated on March 1st when a lecture in Welsh would be given.
Sir T M Williams used the hall while he was a school teacher in Amlwch as did Sir John Rhys the famous school teacher from Rhosybol school.
In 1876 the Court Petty Season were also held in the building while the Town council also held regular meetings there until 1930.