Vessels associated with Amlwch port

Name Tons Built/ Known Where By Rig Bought Owned or part owned Master/Fate/Notes Extended details
Active 175 1816 Lancaster   Snow 1846 N.Treweek Capt John Hughes  
Adventure 75 1845 Cape Breton   Schooner 1848 N.Treweek Capt Owen Parry  
Ailsie 98 1892 Amlwch Paynter 3 Schnr   Platts of Oldham Capt John Hughes. Managers at Llanfairfechan  
Albion 82 1815 Lancaster   Schooner   W.Thomas Capts. J.Owen, J.Jones, W.Parry WT brought the vessel from NT in 1860 /1863
Aligator 9 1814 Dulas Robert Owen Open boat     Capt William Evans Lost 1860
Alliance 76 1858 Amlwch Treweek & Co Schooner   Palmer & Co Capt T.Owen Built by Treweek and launched in March 1858. John lewis London house was part owner.
Amanda 193 1865 PEI Ross Bgntine 1866 R.Jones, W. Thomas, W. Thomas Liv Capt R.Jones. Sold Purchased by William Thomas from Prince Edward island in 1866 for £920. She was refited at Holyhead at a cost of £730 Master was Robert Jones. She was sailed to the Baltic. She was eventaully sold for £500 in 1881.
Amlwch 76 1786 Beaumaris   Brig   Amlwch Shipping Co Capt Rowland Owen Master of the 76 ton brig built in Beumaris in 1786 and part of the Amlwch Shipping Company. She took 6 cargoes each of 70 tons ore From Amlwch to Liverpool between July and December 1789. She also brought Coal and cast iron plates from Swansea into Amlwch. She also took 20 barrels of salted Herrings to Liverpool, on one of her journeys.
Amlwch Packet 37 1832 Amlwch Treweek Bros Smack/schooner? 1832 N.Treweek… T.Jones of Bangor Capt Griffith Jones. Wrecked Abererch 14th October 1881 37t Smack Built by Treweek brothers may 1832, Wholly owned by Jmaes Treweek
Anglesea 149 1885 Amlwch Thomas I.stmr 1885 W.Thomas. L.Thomas, Bilbao owners in 1894 Capt W.Gibbon Total cost to build £3302/12/4
Anglesea lass 99 1854 Rhyl   Schooner   W.Thomas Capt W.Thomas Built at Rhyl in 1854. William master brought shares in her in the same year.
Anglesea Lass 264 1871 Sunderland   Barque 1871 W.Thomas Capt D.Jones. Lost 1973  
Anglesey 632 1850 Pictou NS   Barque 1851 N.Treweek Capt Thos Morrison, W.E.Bell Owner of the Anglsey which was registered in Beumaris in April 1851. She was a 632 to barque from Thomas Morrison of Nova scotia.
Anglesey 158 1884 Amlwch Thomas Ketch     Small iron screw  35HP engine by Ditton of Caernarvon
Ann Mulvey 99 1842 Chester   Schooner 1854 N.Treweek Capt William Jones  
Apapa     Apapa   7832 tone torpedoed 3 miles Nby E of Point Lynas with the loss of 77 lives ( 64 survivors) in November 1917        
Ardri               Small steamer built by Shearing in Glasgow in 1896 and brought by Thomas. Foundered 13 mines off Bardsey in 1936. Steamer brought  from Shearer in Glasgow in 1892. Fdounderd 13 miles of bardey island in 1936
Arethusa 712 1845 Quebec   Ship 1850 N.Treweek Capt Thos Morrison, J Hamilton  
Atlas 66 1839 Northwich   Schooner 1854 N.Treweek Capt Henry Jones  
Barbara 46 1825 Rhuddlan   Sloop 1853 N.Treweek Capt James Jones  
Barbara 1082 1877 Sunderland Doxford I.Barque 1877 W.Thomas Capt R.H.Roberts An iron barque built at Sunderland in 1877. Owened and managed by WT until her loss in 1881 off Milforn haven.
Baron Hill 209 1876 Amlwch Thomas Bgntine 1876 W.Postlethwaite Capt J.Hughes A larger version of the Cumberland Lassie Baron Hill Official Number
74520
The three-masted schooner Baron Hill was built by William Thomas at Amlwch in April 1876. She was registered at Liverpool and was owned by Millom's William Postlethwaite from 1876 until her loss on the 22nd March 1898.

Travelling from Flint to Newcastle with a cargo of salt, the Baron Hill was stranded and lost in wind conditions ENE Force 6, in the Dee estuary 2 miles below Flint. The master was Capt. L.Hughes and there was a crew of six.
  Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Baron Hill 1876 224  119.0  25.4  13.0   3     11A1 (SS)  
Becca & mary   1904 Amlwch Hugh Jones       for the Duddon Shipbuilding company in 1904.  
Black rock                  
Blessing     Blessing   Built in Aberystwyth but used in Amlwch copper trade from 1770.        
Blessing     Blessing   Built in Aberdovey but used in Amlwch copper trade from 1770.        
Bradshaw 55 1793 Red wharf E.Griffiths          
Brothers 42 1820 Bristol   Sloop 1846 N.Treweek Capt John Williams  
Cambank     Cambank   Bound for Garston with spanish ore aboard. She was torpedoes about 4 mile ENE of Point lynas.        
Camborne 108 1885 Amlwch W.Cox -Paynter 3 Schnr   Capt T.Morgan. 1914? Sold to Swansea. (Hugh Shaw tells story in "Schooner Captain") Captain Thomas Morgan built the 118 ton Schooner Cambourne in 1884 at the Cox Paynter yard in Amlwch. she was described as " of graceful shape and good qualities" and was managed by the Cox Paynter Company up until the First World War. She was crewed mainly by Amlwch man.In 1936 at the age of 52 she was blown off course in the Atlantic by a fierce storm. After the storm it took 4 days to make landfall.
Cambrian Cutter 22 1833 Dulas John Hughes       For the Webster family Owned by Webster an Amlwch merchant the Cambrain Cutter which was built at Dulas in 1833 by John Hughes. She was run down by the steamer Antelope in the mersey in 1836.
Caroline 52       Schnr   W.Thomas   Schooner owned by WT. At liverpool in Autumn 1875.
Catherine 63 1842 Amlwch N.Treeweek Schooner        
Celtic 224 1894 Amlwch Thomas I.Schnr 1894 W.Thomas & Sons, W.Renney Conahs Quay Capt J.Hughes  
Cenric   1905 Amlwch Thomas Steel Schooner   W.Thomas & Sons Capt M.Parry. Not heard of since leaving Twillingate Nfl 1906 Steel schooner built 1905 she was lost after leaving Newfoundland in June 1916.
Charles 48 1871 Amlwch Paynter       For Charles Dyer the Parys mine agent.  
Charles Edwin 94 1859 Amlwch Paynter          
Charles Henry Ashley                 The lifeboat was based at Cemaes from 1907 until 1932, when it was condemned by the RNLI because it was non self-righting. It is in relatively good condition, and has been put into storage at Porth Amlwch. Built by the Thames Ironworks Company, it cost just over £1090. It is one of very few of it's age and class still in existence
Charlotte 73 1841 Beaumaris   Schooner 1846 N.Treweek Capt Owen Williams  
Cilgwyn     Cilgwyn   A sloop owned by John Evans a Caernarfon shire solicitor. One of 16 vessels which made a total of 54 journeys to Swansea with copper ore from amlwch between June 1828 and march 1829 Worth £11873 for the Mona Mine        
Clara Louisa 168 1854 Bideford   Brig 1866 W.Thomas and W.Thomas Liverpool Sold 1871  
Clyde 123 1842 Novia scotia   Bgntine   Lewis Thomas, Wm Thomas, Wm Lewis Capt W. Thomas 1849, J.Thomas 1851 In 1849 aged only 27 William Thomas was a the master and part owner of  the Clyde a 123 ton Brigatine, built in Nova scotia in 1842.
Coila 133 1860 Southwick Hardie Schooner   W.Thomas Capts. H.Jones, W.R.Owen. Wrecked Barrow, repaired 1872. Wrecked barrow, Repaired 1872
Confidence 445 1849 Pictou Novia scotcia   Barque 1849 N.Treweek Capt Robert Hogg  
Conty of Cork     Conty of Cork   Managed by WT.        
Countess of Kintore 738 1866 Aberdeen Duthie W.Ship 1880   Capt W.Edwards  
Countess of Lonsdale 183 1878 Duddon Thomas Schooner 1878 Thomas and Postlethwaite Capt L.Hughes The Countess of Lonsdale was a wooden three-masted schooner built by William Thomas at Millom. She took over 4.5 years to build  and was launched on the 27th September 1878. She was initially managed by William Postlethwaite, but in 1880 he sold his shares to William Thomas, and the Countess of Lonsdale joined  Thomas's Amlwch-based fleet. Her first master was Capt. Lewis Hughes of Amlwch, and he stayed with her for most of her life.The Countess of Lonsdale participated in the Spanish ore trade, but also sailed to the Caribbean, carrying a crew of six or seven. Capt. Hughes left her and Capt. Robert Roberts took command in January 1890.  Leaving Runcorn on the 12th April 1890, the Countess of Lonsdale was run down by the steamship Sherbro. The schooner foundered about three miles from the North West light, but her crew were all saved.             Countess of Lonsdale Official Number
74735

The Countess of Lonsdale was a wooden three-masted schooner built by William Thomas at Millom. She took over 4.5 years to build  and was launched on the 27th September 1878. She was initially managed by William Postlethwaite, but in 1880 he sold his shares to William Thomas, and the Countess of Lonsdale joined  Thomas's Amlwch-based fleet. Her first master was Capt. Lewis Hughes of Amlwch, and he stayed with her for most of her life.

The Countess of Lonsdale participated in the Spanish ore trade, but also sailed to the Caribbean, carrying a crew of six or seven. Capt. Hughes left her and Capt. Robert Roberts took command in January 1890.  Leaving Runcorn on the 12th April 1890, the Countess of Lonsdale was run down by the steamship Sherbro. The schooner foundered about three miles from the North West light, but her crew were all saved.
  Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Countess of Lonsdale  1878 199.17  113.5  25.3  12.6   3     12A1  
Crystal Palace 90           W.Thomas Wrecked near Barrow 1871  
Cumberland Lassie 208 1874 Amlwch Thomas Bgntine 1874 W.Postlethwaite Capt P.Hodgson. For William Postethwaite of Cumberland. She was the largest ship yet built at Amlwch.( 1874) She carried coal to Dover for many years.Wrecked Start Point Jan 1918 Originally a barquentine, the Cumberland Lassie was built by William Thomas at Amlwch, the third vessel he had built there. She was felted and yellow-metalled, so intended for foreign trade. She was owned by William Postlethwaite of Millom from her launch until 1890.In 1875 the Cumberland Lassie was chartered to carry a cargo of 270 tons of steel rails from Barrow-in-Furness to East London, South Africa. She arrived on the 31st August but was held outside the sandbar until lighters were available for unloading her. These did not arrive until the 6th October and it was only on the 14th November that the lighters had removed sufficient of the cargo to allow the Cumberland Lassie to clear the bar and enter the harbour to finish unloading. There was a court case between Postlethwaite and the charterer regarding the payment of demurrage, concerning whether or not the cargo had been "discharged with all dispatch" - see Source 2.The National Maritime Museum has photographs of the Cumberland Lassie as a three-masted schooner when she was owned by George Nicholls (Negative No. P.178, undated, poor quality, vessel under sail - plus other photos not listed in the catalogue). One excellent photograph is reproduced in "The Merchant Schooners" 4th ed. by Basil Greenhill, and he states that the Cumberland Lassie was one of the best known Kent colliers operating out of Dover at the turn of the Century.The  Cumberland Lassie was stranded one mile South of the Martello Tower at Orford Ness, Aldeburgh, Suffolk on the 16th January 1918. She was bound from Gravesend to Newcastle with a cargo of burnt ore. At the time she was owned by Nicholls of Folkestone.   Cumberland Lassie Official Number
70467

Originally a barquentine, the Cumberland Lassie was built by William Thomas at Amlwch, the third vessel he had built there. She was felted and yellow-metalled, so intended for foreign trade. She was owned by William Postlethwaite of Millom from her launch until 1890.

In 1875 the Cumberland Lassie was chartered to carry a cargo of 270 tons of steel rails from Barrow-in-Furness to East London, South Africa. She arrived on the 31st August but was held outside the sandbar until lighters were available for unloading her. These did not arrive until the 6th October and it was only on the 14th November that the lighters had removed sufficient of the cargo to allow the Cumberland Lassie to clear the bar and enter the harbour to finish unloading. There was a court case between Postlethwaite and the charterer regarding the payment of demurrage, concerning whether or not the cargo had been "discharged with all dispatch" - see Source 2.

Capt. Peter Hodgson, age 46, of Cumberland, master of the the Cumberland Lassie, was reported dead when the vessel reached port on the 15th January 1885. He was supposed to have thrown himself overboard while suffering from "stricture" on the 25th July 1884.

The National Maritime Museum has photographs of the Cumberland Lassie as a three-masted schooner when she was owned by George Nicholls (Negative No. P.178, undated, poor quality, vessel under sail - plus other photos not listed in the catalogue). One excellent photograph is reproduced in "The Merchant Schooners" 4th ed. by Basil Greenhill, and he states that the Cumberland Lassie was one of the best known Kent colliers operating out of Dover at the turn of the Century.

The  Cumberland Lassie was stranded one mile South of the Martello Tower at Orford Ness, Aldeburgh, Suffolk on the 16th January 1918. She was bound from Gravesend to Newcastle with a cargo of burnt ore. At the time she was owned by Nicholls of Folkestone.
  Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Cumberland Lassie 1874  230  114.5 24.0  13.6  3   square    
Cygnus 355 1891 Amlwch Thomas I.Screw Stm 1891 R.J.Francis and A.Evans Capt J.T.Francis 54 HP steam engine
Cymraes 22 1836 Amlwch Treweek Bros Sloop 1836 N.Treweek Capt Thomas Hughes 22 ton sloop built by NT at Amlwch in 1836. Nt owned 48/64
Cymric 226 1893 Amlwch Thomas I.Bkn 1893 W.Thomas & Sons Capt R.Jones Amlwch Built1893. Her captain was the son of the Capt Robert Jones of the Amanda. Used often in the year long journey to Rio Granda in Brazil. She was converted to a Q ship in early 1918.
Cymro 20 1844 Amlwch N.Treweek Smack 1844 N.Treweek Capt Owen Williams 21 t Smack launched 20/3/1844. WT brought the vessel from NT in 1860 /1863 samual Treweek Great head owned 4/64
Cymro 20 1844 Amlwch Treweek Schooner 1863 W.Thomas, Owen Owens, William Williams, foundary Lost April 8th 1868  
Dasher 66 1805 Bideford   Schooner 1846 N.Treweek Capt Hugh Williams  
Delton 43       Flat   W.Thomas    
Derbent     Derbent   Oli tanker Torpedoed Nov 1917 off Point Lynas        
Detlef Wagner 225 1891 Amlwch Thomas I.Screw Bkn 1891 H.Baumann A well known European vessel. She was sunk by a submarine in 1917. She was named after her owner, a ship broker in Hamburg. Built at Amlwch by Wt in 1891 and sailed in european waters until sunk by Submarine in 1917.
Dolphin 13 1820 Dulas Robert Owen Sloop        
Donald and Doris     Amlwch Paynter Schooner   Hodborrow Mining Co Capts Wynn and Jones.For the Hodbarrow mining company. The schooner Donald & Doris was built in July 1897 at the Amlwch shipyard of W.C.Paynter & Son. She was managed by the Duddon Shipping Association, part of a small fleet that carried the iron ore produced by the Hodbarrow Mining Company at Millom. She was named after the children of the Managing Director of the company. She was blown ashore in 1902 but survived.She was sold in 1920 and survived to give service in the Second World War when aged 42 years.  Donald & Doris Official Number
102465

The schooner Donald & Doris was built in July 1897 at the Amlwch shipyard of W.C.Paynter & Son. She was managed by the Duddon Shipping Association, part of a small fleet that carried the iron ore produced by the Hodbarrow Mining Company at Millom. She was sold by them in 1920 and eventually was broken-up.
  Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Donald & Doris 1897 142 96.7 23.5 10.5 3       
Dove 33 1839 Prince Edward island   Schooner 1849 N.Treweek Capt Richard Lemin  
Dublin 120       Schnr     Capt John Jones. Lost 1824 Treweek described her as a very fine vessel of 120 tons in 1811. Which frequently made a passage when other could not. However she was lost all hands on a return journey from pembray in November 1824
Dunleith               Small steamer built at peasly in 1896 and brought by Thomas.  
Eagle 76 1786 Rhuddlan   Brig   Amlwch Shipping Co Capt Owen Mathias Master of the 76 ton brig built in Rhuddlan in 1786 and part of the Amlwch Shipping Company 
Economy 60 1840 Amlwch Treweek Bros Schn 1840 N.Treweek Capt R.Jones.  Lost on St Patrick's Causeway with all hands 1843
Edith Morgan 130 1866 Padstow Wilmott Schooner 1875 W.Thomas Capt W.Jones. Wrecked Sound of Islay Schooner owned by WT. At Santander in Autumn 1875. Wrecked at Port Askaig.
Eilian 116 1889 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1889 W.Thomas & Sons, R.Griffiths Sank 6th July 1899 after a collision with SS Afrique off St Catherines Point. The Eilian was the first vessel to be built at William Thomas new slip facing the outer basin at Amlwch port. She was at the time the largest vessel to be built at the port. She was launched in March 1884 but broke away from her small towing steamer and floated in the direction of Cemais. She was recovered and taken to Caernarvon to have her engines fitted by the De Witon Company.  Only 7 weeks after being launched her name was changed to Express and later still to Exchange.The first powered vessels to trade in the area were low powered paddle steamers with sail assistance. They mostly carried passengers with a small hold for cargo. They were an important communication link between North Wales and the nearest city which was Liverpool. A summer tourist trade also developed with excursions along the North Wales Coast from Liverpool. In the winters a phenomenal amount of pigs were carried from Gwynedd to Liverpool.The paddle streamers time was from the 1820s to the 1870s (though excursion steamers continued right up to recent times). They became less important as the railway arrived in the area, first to Caernarfon along the northern coast and then the Cambrian Railway up the coast of Cardigan Bay to Pwllheli.Advertisments for their sailings can be seen in old copies of the "Herald" (later the "Caernarvon and Denbigh Herald"). They were owned or operated by such companies as the "Cardigan Bay Steam Navigation Co", the " Liverpool and North Wales Steam Packet Co" etc. One of the main operators was the "City of Dublin Steam Packet Co".As steam propulsion became more reliable screw propelled coasters developed (they still often retained sails and used them to save fuel when winds were favourable). Often these carried slates to Liverpool, London or other centres and carried coal, groceries, hardware and general goods back . There was also room for some passengers.These coasters were regular visitors at the North West Wales ports and kept to their schedules regardless of the weather.William Thomas and Co of Amlwch built many ships and they were the last big coaster owner of the coast. Their ships tended to be general traders, working all over the Home Trade limits (Brest to Elbe). Their last vessel, the EILIAN HILL, traded until 1955.
Eilian 140 1908 Amlwch Thomas S.Schnr, aux 1908 W.Thomas & Sons Capt H.Hughes  
Eilian Hill 99 1878 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1878 W.Thomas, L.Hughes etc Built by Thomas with Charles Henry Hills as joint owner. In December 1882 she foundered off Penzance after colliding with SS Equist. Built by WT at Amlwch in 1881, Owners were Charles hill and a number of Liverpool merchants. She foundered off Penznace in December 1882.
Eilianus     Amlwch Thomas       Steam vessel wrecked off Cornish coast. Coast steamer wrecked oof Cornwall
Eleanor 81 1786 Red Wharf William williams Brig   Amlwch Shipping Co Capt William Williams Took cargos of 60 tons copper to Liverpool retruning with groceries.Master of the 81 ton brig built in Red wharf bay in 1786 and part of the Amlwch Shipping Company. Her Amlwch owners where listed as:- John Price, Stephan roose,Jonathon roose, Amlwch shipping compnay. Lost 1794 
Eleanor 17 1829 Amlwch N.Treweek Smack 1829 N.Treweek Capt G.Jones 17 ton Smack built at Amlwch by Francis treweek in 1829
Eleanor and Grace Capt John Owen Eleanor and Grace   Owned by WT. At Cardiff in autumn 1875.        
Eleth               Brought by Thomas. Formally Blackrock.Wrecked off Dunkirk. Coastal steamer wrecked off Dunkirk
Eliza Bell   1854 Londonderry   Schooner   John Edwards Amlwch Aground St Tudwal's Roads 29th April 1896  
Eliza Goodard Thomas  Philips Eliza Goodard   57 t Smack built at Bangor in 1824. NT owned 4/64        
Elizabeth 102 1800 Bull bay   Schooner     Capt Jonn Morris Built at Bull bay, Lost1852
Elizabeth 76 1838 Three Rivers Prince edward island   Schooner 1851 N.Treweek Capt William Jones  
Elizabeth and Jane 86 1861 Connahs quay Ferguson & Co Two masted schooner   John Mostyn,Amlwch Capt William davies and his son Thomas Davies of Amlwch Sailed coasts of UK
Elizabeth Martha 70 1857 Rhuddlan   Schooner 1871 W.Thomas Capt T.Jenkins. Lost near Duddon Feb 12th 1871  
Elizabeth Peers 183 1885 Amlwch Thomas I.Schnr 1885 W.Postlethwaite Capt E.J.Peers The schooner Elizabeth Peers was owned by William Postlethwaite, Millom shipowner, for her entire career. She was an iron-hulled three-masted schooner, built in September 1885 by William Thomas at Amlwch, Anglesey at a cost of £2147/2/2 This schooner is discussed in "Ships and Seamen of Anglesey" by Aled Eames. Her building costs, which amounted to £2147 18s 2d.The Elizabeth Peers foundered off Rio Grande Bar on the 18th February 1893.  Elizabeth Peers Official Number
83998

The Elizabeth Peers foundered off Rio Grande Bar on the 18th February 1893.
  Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Elizabeth Peers  1885  183 107.1  23.6  10.4   3     100A1  
Elizabeth Roberts 134 1904 Amlwch Thomas S.Schnr 1904 E.O.Roberts Liverpool Capt E.A.Nielson  
Emily Barret 71 1913 Dudon           The small two-masted schooner Emily Barratt was ordered by the Hodbarrow Mining Company in 1910 from the Duddon Shipbuilding Company, and she was launched on Easter Monday 1913. It is believed that she was the last merchant schooner to be built in England. She was employed to carry iron ore for her owners, the Duddon Shipping Association. She was sold in 1922 to Welsh owners, and during WW2 she was employed as an anchorage for a barrage balloon. Then in 1960 she was converted to a yacht and spent some time on display in St Katherine's Dock, London. In 1988 she was purchased by the Furness Maritime Trust, towed to Barrow and lifted out to begin an extensive refit. The cost proved to be too much for the Trust, and in November 1999 staff from the Merseyside Maritime Museum undertook to faithfully record the remaining hull before she was finally broken up on site. Key elements such as her figurehead and a sample of her timbers and fastenings have been saved by the museum. 
Emma 295 1849 Pictou Nova scotia   Barque 1850 N.Treweek Capt Thos. Morrison  
Endeavor 50 1783 Carreg Cardigan   Sloop 1862 N.Treweek Capt Edward Hughes  
Enterprise 39 1877 Tyne Lindsay I.stmr 1890 W.Thomas & Sons Altered at Amlwch 1890  
Euphemia 87 1860 Greenock Scott Schooner 1864 W.Thomas, D.Edwards, druggist Capts. J.Evans, I.Jones, W.Gibbon Schooner owned by WT. At Amlwch under repair in Autumn 1875.
Exchange 292 1884 Amlwch Thomas I.stmr 1884 W.Thomas & Co, Liv Capt A.Grant. Captain Thomas Davies in 1900.  
Fido                 The SS Fido struck rocks just off Bull Bay in 1913. She was towed to Amlwch Port and repaired by William Thomas & sons.
Gaelic 224 1898 Amlwch Thomas I.Bkn 1898 W.Thomas Jnr, L.Thomas, J.Williams Capt I.Williams. Sold to Conah's Quay 1920 The 380 ton Gaelic  was launched by Williams Thomas's daughter in March 1898. She was a three masted steel barquentine. Her maiden voyage was to Liverpool and then to Rio Grande do Sol with a general cargo.During the First world war she was converted to a "Q ship" given heavy artillery  and used in the fight against enemy submarines.1898. Sailed regulary to South America. Ran aground at Egremont in August 1909. In November 1916 she was requesitioned and armed with 12 lbs guns and set out as a Q ship. In April 1917 she was attaked by a U boat off Kinsale killing two of her crew. The vessel survived this and other engagmnets and was sent to the mediterranean in 1918.
Gauntlet 120 1857 Glasson Dock   Schooner     Capt R.Jones  
Gelert 223 1887 Amlwch Thomas I.Schnr 1887 W.Thomas, L.Thomas Wrecked Catalinita Is 26th April 1890.  
George the Fourth 99 1829 Dumbarton   Brig 1846 N.Treweek Capt Ellis Jones  
Gertrude 230 1838 New Brunswick   Brig 1855 N.Treweek Capt Richard Tucker  
Glyndwr 26 1879 Amlwch Thomas Smack 1879 W.Thomas Capt W.Williams. Lengthened 1882.she carried various cargos alone the North Wales Coast. Went ashore near Point Lynas may 1883. Wrecked near Hoylake 9/1/1886. Smack built by WT in 1879. She journeys between Amlwch ,Coannah quay, Liverpool and ireland.
Grace Evans 90 1859 Amlwch Treweek & Co I Schnr   N.Treweek, W.Thomas, Grace Evans, E.Morgan etc. Capt J. Price The first two-masted iron schooner was launched from Treweeks yard in October 1859 with Nicolas Treweek ,William Thomas , Grace Evans and Edward Morgan,tobaconist each having ¼ share in her. The first two masted iron schooner to be built at Amlwch. Launched from the Treweek yard in October 1849. Nicholas treweek and William Thomas each had 1/4 share. The othershares where owned by Grace Evans ( spinster ) and Edward Morgan of the Amlwch tobbacco firm. 
Green linnet     Green linnet   A 76 ton sloop registered at Liverpool to Thomas Williams ( Parys Mountain) and John Dawes his London Banker and Michael Hughes the manager of the St Helens Copper Smelting works (1780s)        
                   
Greyhound 191 1886 Millom Thomas Schooner 1886 W.Thomas Capts Williams, R.Jones Greyhound Official Number
93696

Initially designed as a steamer, the Greyhound was a wooden three-masted schooner built by William Thomas at his Millom shipyard. She was launched in October 1886 and entered the fleet of her builder, who operated his main shipyard at Amlwch and managed a large schooner fleet there. The Greyhound sailed in deepwater trades to Spain, Morocco and to Brazil. She was sold by Capt. Thomas to South African owners in October 1891, for whom she traded to Mauritius and St.Helena. In March 1912 she was sold to an owner in Mauritius, who put her into the inter-island guano trade.

The Greyhound was lost on 15th June 1913, when she struck a reef at Raphael Island. She had loaded 206 tons guano at Albatross Island and was travelling to Raphael to complete loading, but strong tides caused her to strike the reef. The crew of twelve, four labourers and two passengers all managed to save themselves by setting up a bosun's chair with the help of an islander. The master was exonerated from blame because his chart did not accurately report the strong tidal stream in the area.

Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Greyhound 1886 191.49 120.5 22.8 11.0 3     12A1  
Happy Harry 142 1894 Duddon Duddon S.B.Co Schnr 1894 Hodborrow Mining Co Capt W.Williams Happy Harry Official Number
102462

The Happy Harry was a wooden three-masted schooner built by the Duddon Shipbuilding Company at Millom, for the Duddon Shipping Association, at a cost of £2560. She was launched on the 5th July 1894, and in her early years she operated in the Duddon iron ore trade under masters from Amlwch. She was sold to Job Tyrell of Arklow in March 1921, and was later owned by Roy Kearon of Arklow. She had a motor fitted in about 1933, and survived the war years to become one of the last trading schooners operating in British and Irish waters.

The Happy Harry met her end at Southport in 1950. On the 15th September she grounded at Taylor's Bank in the Mersey, and her crew, after firing flares, were rescued by the local lifeboat. The schooner floated on the tide and was reboarded and sailed to Southport. She anchored off the pier, but dragged and crashed into the pier, sustaining irreparable damage. Contractors demolished the hull, salvaged what they could, and then set fire to her on the 19th October 1950.
  Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Happy Harry  1894 142.2  101.2  23.0  10.3   3      
Happy return     Happy return   One of five vessels which between them took 202 tone of "raw copper ore" to Neath for Sir Nicolas Bayly in 1775       102462
Havana Packet 210 1818 Liverpool   Snow 1845 N.Treweek Capt R.Roberts  
Helen 860 1840 Quebec   Ship 1854 N.Treweek Capt John Hamilton The Happy Harry was a wooden three-masted schooner built by the Duddon Shipbuilding Company at Millom, for the Duddon Shipping Association, at a cost of £2560. She was launched on the 5th July 1894, and in her early years she operated in the Duddon iron ore trade under masters from Amlwch. She was sold to Job Tyrell of Arklow in March 1921, and was later owned by Roy Kearon of Arklow. She had a motor fitted in about 1933, and survived the war years to become one of the last trading schooners operating in British and Irish waters. 
Hero 90   Colchester   Schnr 1823 Mona Mone Co Capt John Evans  
Hibernia 60 1799 Bristol   B'ntine 1847 N.Treweek Capt John Price The Happy Harry met her end at Southport in 1950. On the 15th September she grounded at Taylor's Bank in the Mersey, and her crew, after firing flares, were rescued by the local lifeboat. The schooner floated on the tide and was reboarded and sailed to Southport. She anchored off the pier, but dragged and crashed into the pier, sustaining irreparable damage. Contractors demolished the hull, salvaged what they could, and then set fire to her on the 19th October 1950. 
Hodbarrow miner     Hodbarrow   Bult at Duddon but Managed by WT.       Hodbarrow Miner Official Number
65047

The Hodbarrow Miner was a schooner built at the Ulverston shipyard of Richard and William Charnley in 1871. She was owned by the Duddon Shipping Association from August 1871 until Sept.1885, when she was sold.

The Hodbarrow Miner was berthed at Milford Haven on Census night in April 1881, and her crew were listed as follows:
 

Hugh Thomas  M  40 Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales Master 
David Owens  M 46 Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales Mate 
William Richard  U 20 Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales AB Seaman
Edward Humpidge U 35 Longhope, Gloucester, England AB Seaman
Hugh Thomas  U 12 Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales Boy

The Hodbarrow Miner left Runcorn bound for Truro on the 2nd March 1908 and was wrecked off the N Cornish coast on the 6th March, with only one of the crew surviving. At the time the schooner was owned by William Thomas & Son, of Amlwch, Anglesey.
  Name Year Built Net Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Hodbarrow Miner  1871 113        2       
Holy Wath 99 1872 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1872 Morgan & Co Whitehaven 1875 Built at Amlwch in 1872 by Captain Thomas for William Morgan of Cumberland. Holy Wath Official Number
58198

The schooner Holy Wath was built by William Thomas at Amlwch, Anglesey in 1872. She was owned by the Duddon Shipping Association from her launch until 1920, and in 1921 she was owned by James Nicholson and John Fisher of Barrow.

Alan Lockett (see Source 2) states that the vessel was originally supposed to be named "Holly Wath" after the house of Capt. William Morgan, the Duddon harbourmaster and one of the managers of the Duddon Shipping Association.

The Holy Wath was berthed at Milford Haven on Census night in April 1881, and her crew were listed as follows:
 

John Williams M  45 Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales Master 
Thomas John U 45 Dinas, Pembroke, Wales Mate 
Bengamin Hannart U 27 Cromar, Norfolk AB Seaman
John Woodward  U 16 Ulverston AB Seaman
James Stock   U 14 Newport, Monmouth  Cook

The Holy Wath was broken-up at Glasson Dock, Lancaster in 1925.
  Name Year Built Net Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Holy Wath 1872 93       2      
Hope 18 1837 Cemais   Sloop 1847 N.Treweek Capt William Owen 58198
Hopewell 16 1730 Red wharf bay Wm parry Sloop     Capt William Peters  
Iris 277 1838 Jersey   Snow 1855 N.Treweek Capt Richard Jones The schooner Holy Wath was built by William Thomas at Amlwch, Anglesey in 1872. She was owned by the Duddon Shipping Association from her launch until 1920, and in 1921 she was owned by James Nicholson and John Fisher of Barrow. 
Irish Minstrel   1879 Dundalk       Ebenezer Griffiths, Amlwch Capt Richard Griffiths. Ended as hulk in the Mersey.  
James and Jane 130 1830 Amlwch Treweek Bros B'ntine 1830 N.Treweek Capt John Hughes Alan Lockett (see Source 2) states that the vessel was originally supposed to be named "Holly Wath" after the house of Capt. William Morgan, the Duddon harbourmaster and one of the managers of the Duddon Shipping Association. 
James and Jane Capt John Hughes James and Jane   A 130 t brigatine built by Treweek brothers at Amlwch in 1831 which foundered in the bay of Biscay in 1840 on a journey to bring fruit from the azores. Wholly owned by James Treweek        
Jane 102 1785 Chester   Bgntine   Michael Hughes of St Helens, David Richards of Swansea etc, Capt John Rathbone. Taken by the French The Holy Wath was berthed at Milford Haven on Census night in April 1881, and her crew were listed as follows: 
Jane and Margaret 56 1836 Amlwch Treweek Bros Sloop 1832 N.Treweek Capt Wm Roberts   
Jane Gray 124 1865 Amlwch Paynter Schooner     Sunk by enemy action 1915. Jane Grey (47046) wood, 3 masted schooner, 124 tons, 88 ft x 21 ft x 10 ft.  Built 1865 Paynter, Amlwch.
           
                Master
1890         T. Parry
 
 
1907 - 13  J. Evans
1913 - 14  J. Jones
1914 - 17  Owen Lewis (Moelfre)
1917 - 18  Owen Lewis
1918 - 19  Hugh Pierce Lewis   
 
Owners
1882 - Robert Jones (Amlwch) Ship owner sells 26 shares to Owen Owens (Amlwch)
          T. Morgan                                     sells 4 shares to Owen Owens (Amlwch)
1885 - Owen Owens (Amlwch) Master Mariner sells 30 shares to Thomas Morgan
          Owen Owens (Amlwch) Master Mariner sells 30 shares to Emma Paynter (Widow)
1897 - Emma Ellen Davies (nee Paynter) sells 30 shares to Thomas Morgan
1903 - William Thomas sells 4 shares to Thomas Morgan
 
1917 - William Morgan (Shipbroker Cardiff)           }
          Margaret Morgan                                     }      Joint Owners
          Owen Jones                                            }
          Richard Jones (Managing Owner)              }
 
Vessel sunk by Submarine 23rd March,1918
Photograph of Jane Grey at Port Dinorwic approx. 1913 given to Brian Hope a few weeks ago.
Information from Lloyds Lists, Transactions T3 no. 88 Gwynedd Archives, Caernarfon
 
(Owen Lewis was my Father's Grand-Father. Was previously Master of Schooner Glyn Aeron, 1896 , Margaret Jane 1904, James 1911)
 
Huw Roberts,
Y Culfor,
Ffordd Bangor,
Caernarfon,
Gwynedd.
LL55 1LN
01286 671067
Jane Pringle 89 1855 Grimsby   Schooner   W.Thomas , Owen Owens, Draper,William Morris, sailmaker. Capts. J.Hughes, O.Jones. Lost off Bardsey 9th Dec1899.             
Jenny     Jenny   Built in Amlwch and used in Amlwch copper trade from 1770.                       Master
John 66 1849 Prince Edward island   Bgntine 1854 N.Treweek Capt John Hughes 1890         T. Parry
John and Eliza 26       Sloop   W.Thomas    
John and Mary 18 1817 Chester   Sloop 1847 N.Treweek Capt John Hughes  
John Bright 498 1847 Dumbarton   Barque 1869 W.Thomas, W.Thomas of Newbro', T.Morgan and Peake of Cardiff Condemmned, Payta 1870 1907 - 13  J. Evans
John Morgan 78 1826 Caernarfon   Schooner 1854 N.Treweek Capt John German 1913 - 14  J. Jones
Joseph 109 1849 PEI   Bgntine 1855 N.Treweek Capt Richard Evans 1914 - 17  Owen Lewis (Moelfre)
Julia 164 1848 Souris Prince edwrad island   Snow 1853 N.Treweek Capt Henry Jones 1917 - 18  Owen Lewis
Juno John Beaver Juno   A privateer who during the American war of independence ( 1765?)gained much wealth. He retired to Maes llwyn in Amlwch and become the Governor of point Lynas light house.       1918 - 19  Hugh Pierce Lewis    
Kendal Castle 85 1839 Frodsham   Schooner 1851 N.Treweek & William Thomas Capt William thomas  
Kitty 83 1785 Liverpool   Sloop   Amlwch Shipping Co Capt John Makay Owners
Lady Bessie 79 1884 Millom Thomas W.Stmr 1884 G.Farrer and Co Caernarvon Capt R.Roberts 1882 - Robert Jones (Amlwch) Ship owner sells 26 shares to Owen Owens (Amlwch)
Lady Kate 78 1881 Duddon Thomas W.Stmr 1881 G.Farrer and Co Caernarvon Capt J.Roberts           T. Morgan                                     sells 4 shares to Owen Owens (Amlwch)
Lady Louisa 74 1882 Duddon Thomas W.Stmr 1882 W.Postlethwaite Capt R.Lewis 1885 - Owen Owens (Amlwch) Master Mariner sells 30 shares to Thomas Morgan
Lady Neave 89 1876 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1876 W.Thomas, W.Owen, I.Jones Capt I.Jones. served in the coastal trade until sunk in a collision in July 1911 near South Stack.           Owen Owens (Amlwch) Master Mariner sells 30 shares to Emma Paynter (Widow)
Lewis and Mary 70 1870 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1870 W.Thomas, E.Pritchard Capt E.Pritchard. Sailed from Antwerp for Greenock in 1874 and was lost at sea. 1897 - Emma Ellen Davies (nee Paynter) sells 30 shares to Thomas Morgan
Linda 311 1865 PEI Duncan Barque 1871 W.Thomas Capts. R.Roberts, G.Morgan. Lost Dec 1880 1903 - William Thomas sells 4 shares to Thomas Morgan
Lord Mostyn 46 1844 Rhuddlan   ?   W.Thomas, W.Lewis Wrecked 1890  
Lord Willoughby 69 1840 Preston   Schooner   W.Thomas Capt Roberts 1917 - William Morgan (Shipbroker Cardiff)           }
Lovely 76 1788 Amlwch   Brig     Capt William Botham           Margaret Morgan                                     }      Joint Owners
Lydia 41 1803 Caernarvon   Sloop 1833 N.Treweek Capt John Griffiths           Owen Jones                                            }
M A James   1900 Porthmadog                     Richard Jones (Managing Owner)              }
Maggie Williams 226 1892 Amlwch Thomas I.Schnr 1892 W.Postlethwaite Capt W.Williams  Maggie Williams Official Number
93428

The Maggie Williams was built by William Thomas & Sons at Amlwch, Anglesey and was launched in April 1892. Like the Elizabeth Peers, built at the same shipyard for the same owner, she was an iron-hulled three-masted schooner. She was built for the Millom shipowner William Postlethwaite, and he owned her until she was sold in November 1899 to Alfred Tyrrell of Arklow.
  Name Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Maggie Williams  1892  226 123.0  24.0  10.8   3     100A1 


Sources :

Research by Trevor Morgan
"Ships and Seamen of Anglesey" by Aled Eames ISBN 0 905555 50 3
Marchioness of Anglesey 74 1815 St Helens   Schn 1846 N.Treweek Capt John Hughes Vessel sunk by Submarine 23rd March,1918
Margaret 43 1827 Amlwch N.Treweek Sloop 1827 N.Treweek Capt John Williams Photograph of Jane Grey at Port Dinorwic approx. 1913 given to Brian Hope a few weeks ago.
Margaret 72 1879 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1879 W.Thomas Capt J.Thomas Information from Lloyds Lists, Transactions T3 no. 88 Gwynedd Archives, Caernarfon
Margaret Ann William Roose Margaret Ann   Amlwch merchant who was part owner of the vessel115 ton schooner Margaret Ane built by Ishmael Jones at Cemais in the 1830s.        
Maria 95 1786 Porthinllaen   Bgntine   Michael Hughes of St Helens, David Richards of Swansea etc,   (Owen Lewis was my Father's Grand-Father. Was previously Master of Schooner Glyn Aeron, 1896 , Margaret Jane 1904, James 1911)
Maria 76 1833 Little Anchor Cape Breton   B'ntine 1853 N.Treweek Capt Thomas Owen  
Marianne 53 1839 Amlwch Treweek Bros Sloop 1839 N.Treweek Capt Thos Hughes Huw Roberts,
Marquis of Anglesey 65 1826 Amlwch N.Treweek Sloop 1826 N.Treweek Capt Hugh Thomas. . Y Culfor,
Mary 77 1784 Caernarvon   Brig   Amlwch Shipping Co Capt James Roose Ffordd Bangor,
Mary 342 1842 Gage Town NB   Barque 1849 N.Treweek Capt George Mconnell Caernarfon,
Mary 53   Bangor N.Treweek Schn 1842 N.Treweek Capt Owen Parry Gwynedd.
Mary Ann 58       Schnr   W.Thomas   LL55 1LN
Mary Catherine 77 1858 Amlwch Hughes & Co I.Schnr   Jones& Co Amlwch Capt J.German  First iron ship built at Amlwch by William Thomas in 1858 on the western side of the port. The owners were Jones and Company, Amlwch. Captain John German. 01286 671067
Mary Elizabeth 42       Schnr   W.Thomas   Schooner owned by WT. At Amlwch dry dock in autumn 1875 for repairs
Mary Owen 53 1839 Amlwch N.Treweek Schnr        
Mersey 41 1816 Liverpool   Smack 1847 N.Treweek Capt William Jones  
Mersey     Mersey   A flat owned by John jackson and Michael Hughes both of Liverpool took 4 cargoes of ore from Mona Mine and 2 for parys Mine to Liverpool the second half of 1789        
Mersey (L'pool Pilot Boat no 11) 79 1875 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1875   Capt R.Williams. Sank near Bar Lightship Dec 2nd 1885 The pilot vessels belonging to the Liverpool Pilotage Service made regular use of the Amlwch port for repairs. This may have been why William Thomas tendered for and built such a vessel in 1875. She was Pilot Vessel number 11. A 76 foot schooner rigged vessel of 110 tons made with copper fastened English oak. She was well appointed and had an agreed price of £2,600. she was launched on 6th April.Her life was short but eventful. On 12 October 1877 she was run down by the steam ship Menelaus and sunk. She was raised and restored back to Pilot service only to be run down again by the SS Landana on 2nd December 1885.
Messenger 536 1840 Miramichi   Barque 1847 N.Treweek Capt Mangus Bruce  
Meyric 253 1904 Amlwch Thomas S.Schnr 1904 W.Thomas & Sons Capt W.B.Williams Steel schooner. One of her early young crew was Willaim Williams ( later VC)
Molly 24 1785 Red wharf bay   Sloop     capt John Hughes Built in Cemlyn but used in Amlwch copper trade from 1770. Lost 1839
Mona 94 1786 Liverpool   Brig   Amlwch Shipping Co Capt James Eyres  
Morfudd   1914           Hosptital ship 1914-1918  
Morning star     Morning star   Built in Conwy but used in Amlwch copper trade from 1770.        
Mountain Maid 53           W.Thomas   Owned by WT. At Red wharf bay in autumn 1875 loading oats.
Nancy 15 1788 Amlwch   Sloop     Capt R.Griffiths Probably built at Dulas
Nant Glyn 103 1877 Amlwch Thomas wood Schooner   T.Jones and T.Jones Lost all hands in October 1881. Wooden schooners built by WT at Amlwch in 1877. Lost all hands in october 1881.
Naparimi 378 1828 Quebec   Barque 1853 N.Treweek Capt W.B.Berrick, Capt J.Jones  
Nellie Bywater 99 1873 Millom Thomas Schooner 1873 W.Postlethwaite Capts Ellis, R.Morgan The history of the Nellie Bywater is well-documented, principally because her last owner wrote a book (see Source 2) describing not only his own experiences with her, but also giving a good account of her building and early history. This book includes plans and many photographs. Trevor Morgan added more detail in his article in Maritime Wales, and it is was he who gave me the photograph of the painting of the  Nellie Bywater that is shown here.The Nellie Bywater was a two-masted schooner, the first vessel to be built at the Millom shipyard of William Thomas & Co. Her designer and builder was the shipyard foreman, Hugh Jones, who had been brought from Amlwch by William Thomas and who would later own the yard in his own right.  He took ten months to build and the Nellie Bywater and she was launched on the 20th December 1873. Her first master was Capt. Richard Morgan of Amlwch and her owners were the Hodbarrow Mining Company, in the guise of the Duddon Shipping Association. Later masters included Capt. Soloman Ellis, Capt. James Fairclough of Ulverston, Capt. Owen Jones of Amlwch and then Capt. John Hughes Parry. Capt. Morgan took the Nellie Bywater to Spain for iron ore, but the bulk of her work was in home waters, principally the triangular route carrying iron ore from the Duddon to South Wales, then coal to Ireland, returning to the Duddon with pitwood. Later the ore trade from the Duddon was largely to the Clyde rather than South Wales.The  Nellie Bywater was sold to a group of people from  Annalong, Co. Down, for £1825 in 1921. Her new master and managing owner was Capt. William McKibben. The vessel was requisitioned for war service in 1940, and soon after the war ended she was sold to Capt. Richard England. He kept her trading for several years, supplementing her income with some appearances in films. With cargoes for schooners hard to find in Britain, in 1951 he decided to take the schooner to the Caribbean. Delayed by postwar bureaucracy, he found himself having to set off to cross Biscay in December. After battling gales in the English Channel for six days, the Nellie Bywater foundered near Bolt Head on the 28th December 1951, whilst trying to make the safety of Plymouth. One of Capt. England's daughters and a crewman drowned, the other nine crew being rescued by H.M.T.Careful.
Neptune 42 1789 Emsworth   Sloop 1851 N.Treweek Capt Robert Hughes  
Nesta 104 1878 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1878 S.R.Platt, Oldham Capt J.Hughes. Sold in 1891 to W.Pritchard Portmadoc  
New Providence 16 1815 Caernarvon   Sloop 1834 N.Treweek Capt Thos Hughes  
Nimble 44 1809     Sloop 1835 N.Treweek Capt John Griffiths. Prize in High Court of Admiralty Prize in High Court of Admiralty
Nonsuch 9 1823 Dulas Hugh Lewis smack        
Nottingham 483 1827 Liverpool   Ship 1846 N.Treweek Capt Edward Bell  
Ocean Belle 62 1865 PEI   Schooner 1867 J.Edwards, W.Thomas, Capts. J.Edwards, H.Williams. Abandoned 29 Nov 1896 Abandoned 29/11/1896
Pearl 100 1880 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1880 T.Fanning Evans Capt W.Lewis. Sold to Conah's Quay 1890 Lost at Red wharf Buy old haulk still on beach.
Peggy 6 1791 Red wharf J.Mathews          
Peggy     Peggy   One of five vessels which between them took 202 tone of "raw copper ore" to Neath for Sir Nicolas Bayly in 1775        
Pelham Capt Gumbold Pelham   Revenue cutter based at Beuamaris,caught in a hard gale off Amlwch in October 1763 sheltered  "in amlough creek where he moored her in the best manner he was able , to prevent her being drove on the rocks. She was initially save until a NNE wind drove a very great sea into the cutter, destroying its boat and bowsprit. it was only with great difficulty that they saved her from being driven onto the rocks.         
Portland 83 1778 Pwllheli   Sloop   Amlwch Shipping Co Capt John Pritchard Master of the 83 ton sloop built in Pwllheli in 1778 and part of the Amlwch Shipping Company. Took Three cargoes for MM and 5 for PM to Liverpool July till Dec 1789
Power 37 1821 Pwllheli   Sloop 1851 N.Treweek Capt Richard Morgan  
President Garfield 48 1881 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1881 W.Thomas jnr Sold in 1897 to Cornish owners.  
Price of Wales 99 1864 Amlwch   Iron Schooer     Captain Robert "Princess" Traded fruit from Spain
Pride of Anglesea 88 1859 Barnstable   Schooner   R.Jones, W. Thomas Capts.R.Jones, T.Parry.Abandoned off Lizard 15th Dec1904 Abandoned off Lizard point 15/12/1904
Prince Ja Ja 271 1890 Amlwch Thomas S. Screw 3 mast 1890 Liverpool and Menai Strait SS co Ltd Capt J.Richardson Spent many years in the Menai Straits carrying miscellaneous goods for shop keepers. Prince Ja Ja was a 271 ton 49HP steam ship launched from William Thomas's yard in 1890. She was well known in the North Wales coast slate trade.
Princess of wales   1867             PRINCESS OF WALES Call sign: WJGP Official registration #: 50470 Master: Captain W. Roberts, appointed to the shipping line in 1867 and to the ship in 1873. Rigging: iron Schooner; 1 deck; 2 cemented bulkheads. Tonnage: 115 tons gross, 115 under deck and 99 net. Dimensions: 93.5 feet long, 20.3 foot beam and holds 10.3 feet deep. Construction: 1864 by Treweek in Amwlch; repairs to damages in 1872; new deck in 1877 Owners: R. Hughes & Sons Port of registry: Liverpool Port of survey: Bangor.
Princeton 356 1842 Bath Maine   Barque 1854 N.Treweek Capt Thomas Hughes  
Proteus 225 1852 Foreign,wrecked and rebuilt at Cemlyn   Brig 1852 N.Treweek Capt Joseph Whitburn. Wrecked at Cemlyn and rebuilt  
Providence 53 1837 Carmarthen   Sloop 1840 N.Treweek Capt William Hughes  
Providence     Providence   Built in Caernarvon but used in Amlwch copper trade from 1770.       One of five vessels which between them took 202 tone of "raw copper ore" to Neath for Sir Nicolas Bayly in 1775
Providence Capt william  Hughes Providence   53t sloop, built at Caernarvon in 1837. Brought by NT in 1840.        
Rapid 232 1852 Liverpool   Brig 1852 N.Treweek Capt James Lindsay  
Raven     Raven   A 73 ton galliot built at St Helens in 1788 and owned by Thomas Williams ( Parys Mountain) and John Dawes his London Banker and the reverend Edward Hughes, Greenfield        
Recruit 996 1852 Monkton New Brunswick   Ship 1853 N.Treweek Capt Thos Morrison Brought Recruit from a Liverpool merhcnat called Edward oliver in 1853. She was a 996 ton ship built in News Brunswick and was soon sailing from Liverpool to Australia.
Red 97 1845 New brunswick   Schooner 1846 N.Treweek Capt William Thomas  
Resolution 125 1805 Barmouth   Brig 1845 N.Treweek Capt William Francis WT brought shares in this Treweek vessel in Nov 1859
Robin Hood 155 1854 Flint   Schooner 1854 N.Treweek Capt Owen Parry  
Sally 41 1785 Barmouth   Sloop   Michael Hughes of St Helens, David Richards of Swansea etc,   41 ton sloop built at Barmouth in 1785 and owned by Amlwch shipping company members
Sampson 30 1861     Sloop     Capt Richard Hughes 30 ton amlwch sloop at Anchor off Beumaris on census night 1861
San pareil William  Hughes San pareil   Master of the 61 ton sloop built in Pwehelli in 1783 and part of the Amlwch Shipping Company         
Sarah 18 1834 Amlwch Treweek Bros Smack 1834 N.Treweek Capt J.Jones  
Sarah Jane 56 1856 PEI   Schooner 1868 W.Lewis, W.Thomas Sold 1873  
Sarah Pringle Capt William Evans Sarah Pringle   Built by Treweek.Captain william Evans and John Hughes both of Chapel Street were master        
sea gull     sea gull   Torpedoed 7 miles NE from point lynas Mar 1918        
Sea horse     Sea horse   3 cargoes each of 16 tons of copper from Amlwch to the Warrington Copper and brass company in 1770        
Sea Queen 82 1862 Amlwch Treweek & Co Schooner   N.Treweek 40 Lost Rhosneigr 1861  
Speedwell 8 1730           Capt William Jobes Built in pwllheli but used in Amlwch copper trade from 1770. Mater recorded in Beumaris port books 1730.
Stranger 238 1827 New Yarmouth N.S   Brig 1837 N.Treweek   238 t brig from Nova scotia. Brought by NT in 1837.
Swallow 7 1791 Amlwch   Sloop        
Thomas 65   Ulverston   Schooner     Capt R.Evans  
Thomas and Jane Jonathon Roose Thomas and Jane   Owned by  Dean Thomas,mariner, Jonathon Roose Merchant both of Amlwch and Jane Roberts of Bangor. A 21 ton sloop which took 15,000 sales to Liverpool in July 1789       Owned by WT. At Dublin in autumn 1875.
Thomas Blythe 335 1837 Ansi Louis Is of Mati   Barque 1865 W.Thomas, O.Jones and R.Jones, farmers Sold 1865  
Thomas Pearson   1859 Nantwhich           Thomas Pearson
Official Number
27764

The Thomas Pearson was a two-masted schooner built by Brown at Northwich, Cheshire in 1859. In the Lancaster Shipping Register her first master is named as Capt. George Roberts. Her original owners included : Richard Brown of Northwich (presumably the shipbuilder), George Roberts of Amlwch (Master Mariner), Thomas Fisher (shipowner), Richard Postlethwaite of Rampside Hall (farmer), Richard Geldart of Urswick (farmer), William Kendall of Salthouse Marsh (farmer), and Charles Buxton and Myles Kennedy of Ulverston (iron ore merchants).

James Geldart became managing owner in  1876 and the Thomas Pearson is listed in his fleet in the Barrow Times in November 1877. For the 1881 Census the Thomas Pearson was berthed at Gulval, Cornwall, and her crew was listed as follows:
 

Richard Hosker M 39  Tarleton, Ormskirk Master
Joseph Knox U 26  Whitehouse, Belfast Mate
John Ward U  33  St.Peters, Jersey AB
Francis Dilworth U 20 Belfast, Ireland OS

The Thomas Pearson was stranded on Dulas Island, Moelfre, Anglesey, in December 1895. The wind was Force 5 ESE, and the schooner was carrying a coal cargo from Liverpool to Wicklow. Her master was Capt. A.Kinsella and she had a crew of four.
 
Name   Year Built Gross Tons Length (feet) Breadth (feet) Depth (feet) Masts Figurehead Stern Lloyd's Classn.
Thomas Pearson 1859     103.34     81.5          18.3           10.3         2     Man Round   


Sources :

Information from Derek Blackhurst - reports vessel still afloat in 1925 !!
Lancaster Shipping Register 1856-67 at Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
1881 Census details from  Ships in Port 1881 website
Loss in Lancaster Shipping Register, reported by Pete Sandbach.
Report of loss in "The Shipwreck Index of the British Isles Vol.5"  by  Richard and Bridget Larn.
Photo from Amlwch Ship Index.
        
Toronto 698 1872 Quebec Anger Barque 1873 W.Thomas Capt R.H.Roberts  
Tower 37 1821 Pwllheli   Sloop 1836 N.Treweek Capt G.Rowlands 37t sloop from pwllheli 1821. Brought by NT in 1836
Union 59 1787 Northwich   Galliot 1850 N.Treweek Capt William Roose A flat sold to the Amlwch Shipping Company in1790.
Unity 68 1825 Amlwch N.Treweek Sloop 1825 N.Treweek Capt Robert Jones 68t sloop, built by NT at Amlwch June 1825. Amlwch owners William morgan 8, Robert Jones,4, NT2,William hughes , Madyn Dysw 4, James Treweek4, John paynter, maesllwyn 4, James roose surgeon,4
Unity Capt Robert Jones Unity   68t sloop, built by NT at Amlwch June 1825. Amlwch owners William morgan 8, Robert Jones,4, NT2,William hughes , Madyn Dysw 4, James Treweek4, John paynter, maesllwyn 4, James roose surgeon,4        
Uxbridge 124 1786 Liverpool   Bgntine   Michael Hughes of St Helens, David Richards of Swansea etc,   124 ton Brigantine built at Liverpool in 1786 and owned by Amlwch shipping company members. Her master took 4 cargoes of up to 100 tons for parys Mine to Liverpool and brought three cargoes of coal from Liverpool or Swansea back to Amlwch. Between July and December 1789.
Velocipede 251       Bkn   W.Thomas    
Village Maid 92 1852 Miramichi   Schooner 1855 N.Treweek Capt John Hughes  
W.S.Caine 74 1883 Amlwch Thomas I.Dandy Stmr 1883 W.Thomas, then W.Thomas Liv then Manchester, Liverpool and N.Wales SS.Co Capt L.Thomas  First Iron screw steamer to be built at Amlwch  by Thomas she was 180 tonnes and was built for a contract price of £5000 in 1883. The 155 ton steam ship William Sproston Caine was launched from William Thomas's Iard Newydd in 1883 by Mrs Fanning Evans of Mona Lodge. The wife of the Manager of the Mona Copper mine. She was the first iron steamer to be built at Amwlch and indeed in North Wales.Her 50 HP engines were fitted by Messers De Winton and Co of Caernarvon.
Welfare 52   Holland   Sloop   Amlwch merchants Prize taken from the Dutch in 1897 52 ton sloop, taken from the dutch by the royal george in 1797. Amlwch owned by John Price,William hughes,Evan Richards, Theopilus James.
Wellington     Wellington   Vessel caught up in the Amlwch food riots of 1817 when a mob removed her rudder to prevent her exporting grain.        
Welsh Girl 99 1869 Amlwch Thomas Schooner 1870 W.Thomas, W.Thomas, Liv Capts. T.Jones, J.FarrellLost 21st March 1882 managed by WT. Wrecked at Cemlyn 1882
White 91 1845 Miramichi   Schooner 1846 N.Treweek Capt William Pritchard  
William and James     William and James   Took 10 cargoes each of  70 tons of ore to Warrington in 1771         
William and Jane 141 1834 Ostend   Bgntine 1864 W.Thomas, Owen Owens   Abandoned 29/11/1896
William and Jane         70 tons of copper from Amlwch to the Warrington Copper and brass company in 1770       One of five vessels which between them took 202 tone of "raw copper ore" to Neath for Sir Nicolas Bayly in 1775
William and Mary     William and Mary   One of five vessels which between them took 202 tone of "raw copper ore" to Neath for Sir Nicolas Bayly in 1775        
William Mellhuish 680 1859 Jersey Clarke W.Ship 1869 W.Thomas, W.Thomas, Liv Capt. D.Jones Brought by WT in 1869. She was a 680 vessel built in Jersey 10 years earlier. One her first journey it is reported that she paid for her self 6 times over.
Woodman 70 1837 Barmouth   Schooner 1863 W.Thomas Capt R.Jones. Sold 1865  
Yuca 483 1860 Workington Lamport Barque 1873 W.Thomas, W.Thomas, Liv Capt J.James  
Yucca Capt John  James Yucca   Owned by WT. At Cardiff in autumn 1875.