The history of copper mining at parys mountain goes back as far as the bronze age. However copper mining on a large scale was restarted around 1768 with the discovery of a rich seam of copper ore in an area which became known as the "Golden Venture"
Over the next few years the mining activity on the mountain expanded and eventually came under the control of Thomas Williams (shown above) who developed new markets for the copper.
Today members of Parys underground group (PUG) work to record and preserve the underground features left by the activities of the miners. Much more details about operations on the mountain can be found on the PUG web site.
The links on the right also give some additional information.